The five inconvenient facts as outlined are:
Even if everyone drove an electric car, it would hardly make a dent in the fossil fuels we use.
Electric cars are not very “green.” Only 12 per cent of fuels used to charge electric cars comes from wind and solar power; the other 88 per cent is still generated by burning fossil fuels.
Mining requirements are massive: we must mine about 500,000 pounds of minerals and rock to obtain the materials required to manufacture one battery. It would take the world’s battery factories 400 years to build the $100 trillion dollars worth of batteries needed to heat Europe for one winter.
Fossil fuels are a much more efficient way to store energy than batteries: it takes a 1,000-pound battery to store as much energy stored in 80 pounds of fossil fuel. Read more
When there is not enough electricity to both charge vehicles and power homes, there will be rationing.