Monday, May 18, 2026

Ride Hailing news

Feature/ProfileGuest ContributionsRide Hailing newsTaxi industry news

Uber rescued municipalities from their own failure to understand supply and demand principles; Taxi paid the price

The city had opened a Pandora’s Box when it initiated the restricted entry, equity licensing regime. By the time I entered the business, the city was trying to find a way of extricating itself from this system.

The main problem with extrication was that too many industry participants had invested their lives in the system the city had created. Thus, any move to eliminate the equity plate system was met with strong opposition from those who stood to lose everything they had worked for.
The city opted for a stealth approach.

Read More
NewsRide Hailing newsTaxi industry news

Mammoliti promises to end “open entry,” fix insurance for Taxis if elected mayor

Giorgio Mammoliti promised that if elected Toronto’s mayor, he will end open entry for Vehicles for Hire and make his first phone call to Doug Ford and tell him to “fix Taxi insurance.”
Mammoliti was speaking at an event organized for members of the Taxi industry in a North York banquet hall on May 15th.

Read More
Media releaseRide Hailing newsTaxi industry news

Candidate Rob Davis irked by restrictive debate format

TORONTO, ON – Mayoral candidate Rob Davis – Toronto’s first Black city councillor and a three-term council member – today called on the city’s civic organizations and media to ensure equitable access to debate platform exposure on a wide range of issues.

“Toronto has a diverse population with wide-ranging interests and priorities.  For democracy to thrive, it’s important that our public discourse affords equitable exposure to ideas from candidates reflecting the regions and communities that make up our city – and not just ideas from perceived front-runners,” said Davis.

Davis issued the call after the Toronto Region Board of Trade and TVO informed candidates of a restrictive format for their May 25th debate that gives an unfair advantage to sitting councillors and other candidates who have high name recognition in the early stages of the campaign.

Read More
Media releaseRide Hailing newsTaxi industry news

Giorgio Mammoliti emphasizes that his priority is to put a roof over peoples’ heads, not a lane under somebody’s bike

Giorgio Mammoliti, a prominent city councillor and candidate for mayor of Toronto, has announced his strong opposition to bike lanes in the city. His stance is informed by recent KTM polling data that shows most Toronto residents feel negatively impacted by bike lanes, with 63 per cent wanting the next mayor to evaluate and potentially remove them from major roads.

Read More
Delivery/Courier newsNewsRide Hailing newsTaxi industry news

Furey launches petition to reduce bike lanes

Toronto mayoralty candidate Anthony Furey has launched a petition on his campaign website to slow the installation of new bike lanes in Toronto, and in some cases reverse them.

Toronto Mayoral candidate Anthony Furey said as Mayor he will halt Toronto’s “outrageous” pledge to create new dedicated bike lanes throughout the city and will remove the University Avenue dedicated lanes.
“The current approach to bike lanes in Toronto is outrageous — it has just gone too far,” says Furey.

Read More
NewsRide Hailing newsTaxi industry newsTrucking

Car stolen every 48 minutes in Ontario

In Ontario, a car is stolen every 48 minutes. From 2014 to 2021, there was a 72 per cent increase in auto theft across the province, and a 14 per cent increase in the last year alone.

The Ontario government has announced it is fighting auto theft by investing $51 million in new measures to help police identify and dismantle organized crime networks and put thieves behind bars. The funding will support first-of-its kind auto theft prosecution teams to investigate and prosecute criminal organizations that profit from stolen vehicles.

Read More